Interlibrary Loan (ILL) is a part of the Library Express service and is free and ONLY available to current EKU students, faculty, and staff as well as retired faculty and staff. It is a service in which requests for materials that are not owned by EKU Libraries are submitted to other libraries throughout the United States.
In order to use interlibrary loan, you must have an active Library Express account. To access or activate your account you must log in to Library Express.
- Use our Library Search box to locate materials - the Find Full Text link will take you to a menu with an option to Request this item through Library Express. Clicking that link will open an auto-populated request form which will allow you to submit a request for the item. This process will allow you to do several things, depending on the circumstances: receive an article electronically; have a physical item pulled from our collections and held for you at one of our campus libraries or mailed to your office or home address, if you qualify; place a hold on an item that is checked out; request that an item be purchased and held for you; or borrow an item from another library.
- OR, look up an article in one of our databases and click the Find Full Text link when a full-text option is not readily available. This link will take you to a menu with an option to Request this item through Library Express. Clicking that link will open an auto-populated request form which will allow you to submit a request for the article and have it delivered to your Library Express account. An email from Library Express will notify you when an article is available to download.
- OR, if you have citation information (i.e. title, author, ISBN, etc.) you can simply fill out a blank request form from your Library Express account. Please include the most accurate and complete information possible to avoid delay. We encourage you to locate the item in the Library Search box and submit the request that way and only use manual citation entry as a last resort.
Please allow adequate time for delivery of materials. Depending on the nature and availability of your requests, there may be an extended waiting period.
DUE DATES AND RENEWALS
Due dates and renewals are determined by the lending library, not EKU Libraries. In most cases, one renewal is allowed per item. If a renewal is needed and allowed, please request online via your Library Express account, by email, or by phone at least three days prior to the due date. Once we receive information regarding your renewal request from the lending library, we will share that information with you through an automated email message from Library Express. If a renewal is needed, but is not allowed or is denied by the lending library, you are encouraged to submit a new request for the item.
To renew online:
- Log in to your Library Express account.
- Select an item to renew by clicking on the transaction number.
- Click the Request Renewal button.
To renew by email, contact Library Express at firstname.lastname@example.org.
To renew by phone, contact Library Express at (859) 622-1415.