- More font flexibility (Sec. 2.9, p. 44)
Font options include Calibri 11, Arial 11, Lucida Sans Unicode 10, Times New Roman 12, and Georgia 11 (Sec. 2.9, p. 44)
- Running head (Sec. 2.8, p. 37)
The running head is not required for student papers unless requested by your instructor
- Space after a period (Sec. 6.1, p. 154)
Use one space after a period unless otherwise directed
- Updated heading styles
References and In-text Citations
- In-text citation of a work by three or more authors - list only the first author followed by “et al.” for all instances of the in-text citation (Sec. 8.17, p. 266)
6th: (Taylor, Kotler, Johnson, & Parker, 2018)
7th: (Taylor et al., 2018)
- The reference section lists up to 20 authors for a single work (Sec. 9.8, p. 286)
6th: Miller, T. C., Brown, M. J., Wilson, G. L., Evans, B. B., Kelly, R. S., Turner, S. T., … Lee, L. H. (2018).
7th: Miller, T. C., Brown, M. J., Wilson, G. L., Evans, B. B., Kelly, R. S., Turner, S. T., Lewis, F., Lee, L. H., Cox, G., Harris, H. L., Martin, P., Gonzalez, W. L., Hughes, W., Carter, D., Campbell, C., Baker, A. B., Flores, T., Gray, W. E., Green, G., … Nelson, T. P. (2018).
- Book references omit publisher location (Sec. 9.29, p. 295)
6th: Covey, S. R. (2013). The 7 habits of highly effective people: Powerful lessons in personal change. New York, NY: Simon & Schuster.
7th: Covey, S. R. (2013). The 7 habits of highly effective people: Powerful lessons in personal change. Simon & Schuster.
- Website URLs no long require “Retrieved from” unless a retrieval date is needed. Web page title is italicized. (Sec. 9.16, p. 290)
6th: Walker, A. (2019, November 14). Germany avoids recession but growth remains weak. Retrieved from https://www.bbc.com/news/business-50419127.
7th: Walker, A. (2019, November 14). Germany avoids recession but growth remains weak. BBC News. https://www.bbc.com/news/business-50419127
- List a DOI as a URL; the label “DOI” is no longer necessary (Sec. 9.35, pp. 299-300)
6th: doi: 10.1080/02626667.2018.1560449
- Formatting for eBooks - the platform, format, or device (e.g. Kindle) is no longer included in the reference; the publisher is included (Sec. 10.2, p. 321)
6th: Brück, M. (2009). Women in early British and Irish astronomy: Stars and satellites [Kindle version]. https:/doi.org/10.1007/978-90-481-2473-2
7th: Brück, M. (2009). Women in early British and Irish astronomy: Stars and satellites. Springer Nature. https:/doi.org/10.1007/978-90-481-2473-2
Inclusive and Bias-free Language
- Singular "they" or "their" should be used instead of gender-specific pronouns
6th: Each examiner submitted his or her assessment.
7th: Each examiner submitted their assessment.
- Use descriptive phrases instead of using adjectives as nouns to label groups of people
6th: the poor
7th: people living in poverty
- Be specific instead of using broad categories
6th: over-65s or the elderly
7th: people aged 65-75
6th: Asian participants
7th: Vietnamese, Cambodian, and Thai participants
Sources: Scribbr: APA Manual 7th Edition: The Most Notable Changes; APA Style Guide