Skip to Main Content

Streaming Video

Public Performance Rights (PPR)

What are Public Performance Rights?

Public Performance Rights (PPR) are the right to show media to groups. The producer or distributor assigns the rights for public performance.

When is PPR needed?

PPR is needed if media will be shown outside of home viewing or classroom use. This includes film series, student or faculty-sponsored lectures, and club events. PPR generally requires that no admission be charged to see the film, and often includes specific regulations that may vary from one film distributor to another. For example, some distributors require a film with PPR to only be shown on campus or to those affiliated with the university.

What happens if a PPR is not obtained?

The sponsoring group of the event can be put at legal risk; as well as the owner/renter of the media that was shown without the PPR license. For example, if it was a film owned or watched through the Libraries databases, the Libraries' access to the database could be revoked, among other risks.

Does any media purchased or licensed by EKU Libraries have PPR?

EKU Libraries does not purchase DVDs that include PPR, but we do subscribe to resources that automatically come with PPR (either full or limited). For more information on finding videos with PPR on these platforms, see below. 

How do I request Public Performance Rights for a film?

Swank provides movies and movie licensing to colleges, K-12 schools, public libraries and dozens of other entities that want to show films legally on their property. Major and minor film studios trust Swank as their liaison and agent to provide public performance licensing for their library of movies.

Once you've selected your date(s) and movie(s), fill out Swank's Request a Quote Form and an Account Executive will be in touch with pricing information.


Source used PPR information: SUNY Binghamton Libraries